About Me

My photo
The company was set up 5 years ago by two of the Directors of System Software Solutions and Netstore giving the company a foundation of over 10 years IT Security know how. All of our people have a minimum of 5 years IT Security Experience.

Monday 21 December 2009

Christmas giving to IT Schools Africa Charity

The purpose of this post is to create awareness for UK based charity IT Schools Africa.
I first became aware of the Charity whilst working for Network Si. A school we supply in Birmingham were using ITSA to ship their old kit out to Africa. I was pleased to hear the school are donating their old kit to such a fantastic cause, rather than having to pay a company to destory the kit charities like ITSA are helping provide IT for up to 3,000,000 kids in Africa.

IT Schools Africa mission statement is to "Transform IT education in Africa"


The leading UK based charity has both full time staff and a number of UK based volunteers. ITSA have already distributed over 20,000 computers to over 1,000 Schools in Africa including 500 schools in Zambia, all 350 state and faith based secondary schools.
152 schools in Malawi.
240 schools in Zimbabwe
69 schools in Zanzibar.
The charity under Tim Barnes (Program Director) instruction have trained over 500 African teachers in IT and establishing new programmes as I type this out in Egypt, Tanzania and Madagascar.



What I particulary like about this charity is the benefits are not only to the African students but also to the Cheltenham community as it provides valuable work experience for the locals including the long term unemployed who volunteer their time to help the Charity along with people with learning disabilities bringing them a sense of self worth completing basic tasks to build their confidence and experience in society.

I have pledged myself to create awareness for the ITSA by visiting Africa/Gambian Schools on the 29th of this month. I can safely say I have conqured my fear of injections having the Hepatitus A and B, Typhoid, yellow fever, Polio, Tetanus booster after where I went dizzy after hearing the nurses talk to me about the possible side effects! I had to lie down in the surgery and for around 5 minutes and then had a glass of water. Luckily I already had my MMR jab! I had to go elsewhere on another day for my yellow fever jab which cost and paying for the Malaria tablets, of which the side effects I will not go into - I know it will be worth it.

The costs of running IT schools Africa are substantial. A container of 480 computers costs £17,000 to source and process in the UK, and around £4,000 to ship to Africa.

How you can get involved:
Sponsoring the operations either in the UK or Africa, provides companies with the opportunity of being associated with an ethical, high profile project.

Can you donate pentium III desktop computers and above, or laptops (with their power adaptors)-Keyboards, mice and power leads.-Digital projectors?

IT Schools Africa is a registered charity 1051622 and is WEEE compliant along with US dept of Defence standard 5002-22 for data erasure and happy to provide certificates of erasure if you get in touch

Unit 8, Mead Road Industrial Estate,
Leckhampton,
Chetenham,
Gloucestershire,
GL53 7EF

01241 228800

Keep an eye out for our Gambian school photos which will be posted on our return early January.

You Tube Video of ITSA http://tiny.cc/itsavideo_SchoolLessons

No comments:

Post a Comment